Sunday, November 30, 2008

Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins


A few days before I watched this movie, my sister had told me that it could have been better. After I finished watching it, I couldn't figure out what she meant by that. With an ensemble cast of comedy kings (and queens) Martin Lawrence, Cedric the Entertainer, Mike Epps, Monique, not to mention Michael Clark Duncan and James Errol freakin Jones. Welcome Home Roscoe Jenkins is a welcome addition to my DVD collection. OK so it's about a talk show host of the title character played by Lawrence who hasn't been home in nine years, when his parents 50th anniversary comes up he is practically forced to go. When he gets there things are business as usual, no one cares that he's a celebrity, he's just plain old "Scoe". His cousin who he's always been in competition with also comes to the anniversary played by Cedric. One thing I really like about Jenkins is the fact that it was a good black family comedy, I know that more of those are showing up lately, but it wasn't that long ago films like this were almost nonexistent. I found so many people in my family in the characters of the film, these are genuine characters, and when characters are this believable you really can't help but to like the movie. Oh yeah did I mention that this movie is funny, no scratch that, it's hilarious. Everyone is at the top of their game in this film, and one thing I notice about a lot of comedies, you know how after the movie is over you talk about who was funnier than who in the movie, well I can honestly say that no one was outdone in this movie. Like I said everyone was on their game. One more little thing that doesn't really have anything to do with the movie, but I liked the fact that it wasn't a cookout or family reunion for the reason they got together. So many black films make it seem like the only time black people get together is when there's a cookout. Sorry for going off tangent there, anyway Jenkins is a truly entertaining family film with genuine characters, and real life lessons. Welcome Roscoe Jenkins into your Home.

4 out of 5

Agree or Disagree? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought about this movie.

one luv, Toinne

No comments: