Friday, June 19, 2009

Star Trek


Only JJ. Abrhams (the man behind such hit shows as Lost, Alias, and Fringe, he's also reposible for the awesome Mission Impossible 3 and Cloverfield) can take a franchise that I was never really interested in and make it completely awesome. That franchise of course is Star Trek, now of course I was aware of Star Trek I don't live under a rock, but I always thought that it was really boring. I just couldn't wrap my head around why that show was so popular and "groundbreaking". For the sake of argument some would say it was a show for it's time and it was great back then, and to that I say Star Wars was great for it's time and is still great today, so the show just sucked, get over it. Needless to say I wasn't particularly excited when I heard they were doing a new Star Trek movie, until I heard JJ. Abrhams was attached to direct, suddenly my interest was peaked. I had also heard that Abrhams was at first reluctant do the film being he was never really a fan of the show, but if the studio would let him take it in a new direction he would do it. Would you say no to JJ. Abrhams? So now I'm all in, if anyone could make Star Trek good it was this guy, and did he ever. The story introduces us to the now iconic characters, we are meeting whiz kid James T. Kirk, half human half vulcan Spock and other famous characters for the first time. This was a great decision because I'm sure I wasn't the only person in the audience with no real knowledge of the show, so meeting these characters actually pulled me in, in a way I didn't expect. Explaining the story would just confuse you because it is a very complicated story that deals with time travel, but trust me it's awesome. The last action movie I saw that was as satisfying and complete as this movie was Ironman, it's just a great ride. Oh and the action is non-stop, and I know we've all heard the phrase "non-stop action" a million times, but the action on this movie is really non-stop. There is just enough dialogue to let you know what's going on, and the BOOM another great action sequence. Abrhams has really figured out a way to keep the action going and the story moving in an elegant way that never feels forced or too over the top, I hope directors follow this formula for action films in the near future because I never once lost interest or had time to criticize the movie in my head because it never stopped. This is how action movies should be done.

5 out of 5

Agree or Disagree? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought about this movie.

one luv, Toinne

No comments: