Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Why Did I Get Married Too?



I cant tell you how many times I've watched a Tyler Perry movie and thought to myself "Isn't this the exact same movie he did last time?" It's not a secret, I don't like Tyler Perry movies. I've never really seen one that I considered to be a well done film with fleshed out characters. His films are always so predictable to the point that within the first 20 minutes of every one his films I have figured out every characters actions down to the very second. That is until now. You may not believe these words coming from me, and honestly, I almost don't believe them myself either, but 'Why Did I Get Married Too?' is an outstanding film, and hands down the best Tyler Perry film to date. There I said it, now let me tell you why. This time around Perry doesn't just give us the formula that we have all become used to in his films, you know it just as well as I do. A broken, scarred, and mentally shatter women learns a lesson through love and faith in God and suddenly becomes a better person. Throw in a few scenes with Madea, a church scene, some rebellious kids, a friend with great advice that is never taken, an abusive husband, and that one perfect guy who will magically make everything better and you have a Tyler Perry movie. None of that is present here. Perry really explores each couple in the film with such depth and emotion that I was totally taken off guard, I knew I was watching a Tyler Perry film, but it didn't feel like it. It's almost as if he knows what we have come to expect from him and said, not this time. I usually would give some details on the story, but it's just so well done that I really don't want to give anything away. The performances in this film are also top notch, everyone brings their A game in this one, even Perry who I never really considered much of an actor. I'm still in shock and now finally I'm a believer. I always felt like Perry had a great film in him, he just had to step away from his formula to give it to us, and that is exactly what he does here. If he can continue to make films like this, then I will be just as excited to see his films as everyone else I know. If you miss out on this film than you will be missing out on Tyler Perry's best work yet.

4 out of 5

Agree or Disagree? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought about this movie, or if you follow me on twitter or facebook let me know there.

one luv, Toinne.

No comments: